Goals and Objectives
- To document a summary of 5G and Edge technologies as they relate to video streaming and home entertainment.
- To provide some speculation on future developments of these technologies.
- To help content owners and network operators understand the use cases of 5G and Edge technologies as they relate to streaming video.
- To document possible solutions to technical challenges in deploying and scaling 5G and Edge solutions.
- To provide some guidelines and best practices for enhancing video streaming and home entertainment leveraging 5G and Edge technologies.
- To document some of the economic, social implications, problems, advantages, disadvantages, benefits, or applications that will be relevant in the near future.
- A basic overview of the 5G market and trends including the state of maturity of 5G and expansion plans planned by global operators.
- Detailed explanation of 5G technology and enhanced 5G features that are applicable to streaming.
- Comparison of 5G for video streaming with current 4G/LTE and broadband technologies.
- Identification of the benefits 5G and Edge Compute can provide for streaming content delivery and associated issues.
- Examination of the Edge in context and how it is defined in the framework of the video cloud.
- Examination of the state and maturity of Edge technologies as well as Edge architecture, technology, and potential benefits for streaming media deployment.
- Exploration into possible streaming applications that make sense to run at the edge as well as the benefits gained and the potential drawbacks.
- Exploration into streaming specific use cases that may be relevant to, or benefit from, 5G or the Edge. Some of these use cases might include content caching, content distribution, video analytics, video security, XR, spatial computing, and cloud gaming.
- The advantages of 5G and Edge technologies to the viewing experience.
- Identification and examination of issues related to scaling and cost/benefits.
- A recommendation of specific technologies to enable 5G or Edge Compute
- A recommendation of network architectures or other technological frameworks
Working Group Presentations
There are no working group presentations associated with this project.