July 1, 2020
September 1, 2020
Share this page:
The metadata ingest landscape is complex with different definitions, standards, and actors. It is challenging to get an overview when first engaging with metadata. This project will create a metadata landscape document to help better understand the technical challenges.
Metadata is a critical component of the streaming video experience. Not only does it provide crucial information about the video (such as title and actors) but it can also be instrumental in content discovery. But, there is little standardization around streaming video metadata. Studios, for example, may provide vastly different metadata to OTT streaming platforms requiring normalization before it can be used. Metadata from studios describing video assets, like movies and TV shows, can not only be different in structure, but also in terminology. What one studio terms “genre” may be called something else by another studio. This creates significant workflow-related issues for OTT streaming platforms when ingesting information. This project will attempt to map the landscape of those differences and identify the specific areas where the Streaming Video Alliance can provide guidance, best practices, and even specifications to help standardize this metadata. By doing so, the process of OTT streaming platforms ingesting content from studios can be greatly simplified and even expanded with streaming-specific metadata terms. The document produced by the group will strive to include the metadata terms and definitions commonly employed by studios, actors and users of metadata, production, aggregation, consumer operation, and current metadata frameworks/standardization.
There is not a document currently associated with this project.
Goals and Objectives
This project has the following goals and objectives:
- To aggregate existing research within the group to create an “ingest metadata landscape” document that clearly identifies the challenges which need to be addressed.
This project WILL address the following:
- A list of common metadata terms and definitions used when providing content to OTT streaming platforms
- An identification of current metadata standards, formats, and ontologies
- An analysis of those current efforts and where they succeed and fail in helping to standardize metadata ingest terminology
- Any current technology solutions which can be applied to address this challenge
- A recommendation of specific metadata terms or definitions
- A recommendation of specific existing standards and/or technology solutions
There are no additional references or other required readings need to participate in this project.
There are no presentations associated with this project.