Online Video Formats: 2018 And Beyond
Share this page:
Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 10:00am (PST)
Want To Participate?
Participating in our webinars is free to members. Learn more about what membership can mean for you and your company.
- What’s happening with video codecs today? It seems very confusing. How do companies know which codec to adopt?
- Are there any tradeoffs (performance, quality, etc.) between the major codecs, HEVC, VP9, and AV1, that companies should be aware of? What about JVET?
- What are the major decision points that companies should be aware of when selecting a codec? Licensing costs? Market distribution? Performance?
- How can we resolve the complexity in the codec market? What will it take to establish a clear winner?
- How does CMAF fit into the picture? Will this unify HLS and MPEG-DASH for chunked streaming video? Is adoption there yet?
- Companies seem to be taking a “wait and see” approach to adopting next-generation codecs (like AV1). Is this a good strategy? How does it hamper the widespread adoption of newer codecs?
- Right now, codec technology seems to be focused on compression (and its relationship to quality). What’s coming next? Where will codecs advance in the coming years?
- What does the codec landscape look like in the next year? 3 years? 5 years? Will there be a “winner?”
Click on a panelist’s picture to visit their Streaming Video Alliance profile. Note: if their profile is not public, this will redirect to their LinkedIn profile.
Moderated by Jason Thibeault
Jason Thibeault is the Executive Director of the Streaming Video Alliance, a global association of companies collaborating to solve critical challenges in delivering a better streaming video experience and increasing adoption. Prior to this role, Jason spent eight years at Limelight Networks, a leading CDN, where he held several roles including product manager and marketing strategist. Jason is an inventor on multiple technical patents in the streaming industry and a proven entrepreneur. He is also a contributing editor to Streaming Media Magazine.
About the Streaming Video Alliance
The Streaming Video Alliance is a global technical association addressing critical challenges in streaming video. By educating the industry on the technical nature of the issues, providing a neutral forum for collaboration across the video ecosystem, and publishing documentation that defines technical solutions, the Alliance is helping to improve the streaming video experience at scale. Over 75 companies including network operators, content rights holders, OTT platforms, service providers, and technology vendors – representing some of the biggest names in global streaming – participate in bi-weekly working group activities and quarterly face-to-face meetings. You can find out more about membership here.